This project is read-only.

Grid App template question

May 23, 2013 at 10:17 PM
I've been working on an application that starts from your Grid App template. Everything seems to work fine, except when you click on an Item to bring up the ItemDetailPage. In all cases, the ItemDetailPage opens with the 1st item the group displayed, even though -- as far as I can tell -- the SelectedItem property of the ViewModel is set to the item that was clicked.

Any ideas about what needs to change to make the GridView display the SelectedItem?

May 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Hi Chuck,

I haven't seen this behavior before but I'll be honest I haven't specifically looked for it either. I can't take a look at it this evening but I have some time tomorrow that I will look at it and get back to you. If you want feel free to zip me up your project and send it to ipjohnson123 at or I can just create a new project and test it out if it's that simple to reproduce.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

May 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM
You can see the behavior in the Grid App that is generated from the template. Create an app, run it, and then click on any item tile that is not the first tile in a group. You'll jump to the Item detail page where the group will be properly identified but the item will be the first item in the group.

Thanks for looking in to this.
May 23, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Ok sounds easy enough I'll post back tomorrow with what I find. I have some other small changes that I was looking to release this weekend so I'll just roll what ever changes I need to make into the 2.3.1 release.

May 24, 2013 at 4:45 AM
Hi Chuck,

I took a look and saw what you were talking about. To fix it I had to make two changes to the xaml. Basically I had to change the position and orientation of a couple of data binding tags ({Binding Group} and the order of the ItemsSource and SelectedItem bindings). I've updated the template and released version 2.3.1 so you should be able to update through VS and creates a new working app and see the changes.

Let me know how it works and if I can help answer any more questions

May 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I updated to 2.3.1 and test – it selects the right item now.

Thanks for your fast turn-around on this.


May 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Glad to hear it works, if you run into any more issues let me know.

Also I've started a new blog for the Framework at that I'll be posting different articles on how to do things in the framework so check it out.